After you’ve selected your new countertop, a licensed and certified countertop fabricator/installer will call you to arrange a convenient time for an in-home visit.
At this visit, the installer will confirm all details of your new countertop purchase, verify countertop measurements and create a template, or “footprint,” of your new countertop to ensure a proper fit. If any adjustments to the original project estimate are required, the store will revise the estimate and submit a final estimate to you for approval.
The day before your countertop installation, your installer will call you to confirm time of arrival. Be sure to disconnect and remove your old countertop, sinks, cooktop, appliances and etc. prior to installation. We suggest you schedule a plumber and electrician for the day following installation so they can reconnect plumbing and wiring as required.
Installing new countertops is a construction process, and some noise and dust should be expected. If you’ll be living in your home while your new countertops are being installed, plan accordingly to minimize disruption.
For areas directly affected by the installation:
- Cover the installation area entryways and vents to contain dust and debris.
- Create a clear path through your home for easy access to the installation area and for removal of debris.
- Cover furniture and floors along this path and in areas adjacent to the installation.
- Remove all items from cabinets.
- Move all breakables, such as lamps, vases, mirrors, wall hangings, antiques or other valuables, from areas affected by installation work.
On installation day, our licensed, insured installers will be on time, courteous and efficient. They’ll have everything they need to install your new countertop.
Please be prepared to meet these simple requirements:
- Ensure that your sink fits the base cabinet.
- Make certain to have an adult over age 18 with authority to make installation decisions on hand during installation.
- For safety, keep children and pets away from the construction area.
Our installers will:
- Install the countertop. If countertop seams are required, the installer will decide where to place them for the best appearance. (Stone countertops have visible seams. Acrylic countertops have inconspicuous seams.)
- Install a standard backsplash. (Note: If the job order includes a high backsplash, it is usually a two-part process on stone surfaces to complete the installation. The high backsplash will be measured after installation of the deck. The backsplash will be installed approximately one week later. Upper cabinets and range hood/microwave combinations must be installed prior to measurement for the high backsplash. This process allows for the best fit.)
- Clean the immediate area and leave the job site in “broom-clean” condition.
- Give you a card that explains care and maintenance of your new countertop.
- Complete the warranty card and mail it.
- Ask you to sign a statement confirming your satisfaction with the quality, fit and damage-free condition of your new countertop.
Potential Unexpected Site Conditions
In almost all cases, the final estimate you receive will accurately reflect the condition of the installation site, and it won’t be necessary to adjust cost or schedule. Occasionally, however, we discover conditions such as water or termite damage, electrical or plumbing problems during the installation process that must be addressed before we can complete the installation. These conditions may require additional labor and materials.
If properly cared for, your new countertop solution will provide you with years of good service. Please review the specific care and maintenance information provided for your new countertop, and please note the following guidelines:
- If you haven’t already, arrange for a plumber and/or electrician to reconnect plumbing or wiring as required.
- We recommend that you use cutting boards and/or trivets to protect your new kitchen countertop from cuts, heat sources, etc. Placing hot pots, pans or plates directly on the countertop is not recommended.
If you should have any follow-up questions about the installation process, please contact us as we’re here and ready to help.